This tart came about by accident! and what an enjoyable accident it was 😀
I had left over pastry from making my lemon tartlets and to throw the pastry away would be such a waste. Then it occurred to me that I could turn it into a free-form tart with fresh fruits. It is a perfect way of using up extra pastry and whatever available fruit in season. Because it is quite straight forward and does not take long to cook, I was able to enjoy it while waiting for the lemon tartlets to cook.
Short crust pastry recipe (see previous post)
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp icing sugar
Fruit of choice – For this particular tart, I used 2 large-sized strawberries, sliced.
1. Heat up oven and baking tray at 170C. Collect the leftover pastry and form a ball. Roll out until 2-3mm thick.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and then corn flour in the middle of the tart. This is to absorb any liquid released by the fruit and prevent the tart from going soggy.
4. Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of caster sugar onto the pastry to give it a crunchy texture.
5. Transfer the tart onto the hot baking tray and bake the tart at 170C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Once baked, let the tart cool on a cooling rack. The tart can also be eaten warm with ice-cream or whipped cream. You can also sprinkle the tart with icing sugar.
Enjoy turning your left-over pastry into another beautiful creation. Have fun and get creative!